Monday, April 8, 2024

Podcasting


Are you a podcaster, or someone who loves to listen to them? I have heard a few but have yet to really get into them. I have recently been interested in learning more about podcasts and finding ones my toddler and/or students would like to listen to. With the ever-growing fast-paced world and changing technology, I find podcasts are the newest crazy, as people are working, exercising,, and doing chores around the house they are seeking out audio files such as podcasts. Podcasts can be utilized for entertainment and learning. From listening to books, following the murder mystery crazy, interviewing episodes, theatrical podcasts, and storytelling. 

During this assignment, we were asked to create a podcast as a group about interesting library facts. My group decided to discuss what library hand is, the Dewey Decimal world along with some interesting librarians. This was all our first time creating a podcast so check it out below and let me know what you think. 


When looking to share our podcast I looked into Soundcloud, Podbean, and Anchor. I liked Podbean and Anchor the best but I found with the method in which we recorded our audio it was easier to upload the edited file on Podbean.

We all live in different areas of town and have never created a podcast before. We decided to use Zoom to record our podcast and even though it was easily recorded we had to be mindful of our time because Zoom only has a 15-minute free meeting. After a couple meetings, we were able to complete our podcast. From there I used a familiar editing app Descript. I like this editing program because the free program is enough for my use. It easily allows you to upload your audio and it turns it into a transcript so that you can see where you want to cut out material, add a few seconds when we may have spoken too fast, and/or I wanted to add music to the background. The only issue I came across was that when I tried to publish from the app it never worked even though they partner with Podbean. I am sure it was probably a technique error on my part in the end I just exported the file. When I exported it, it wanted to create a .wav file which would be fine if I wanted to pay the podcast platforms to post it, but working on a college student budget I wanted to try the free platforms. So once I went back to the Descript app and exported it as a MP3 audio I was easily able to upload the audio file onto Podbean. After exploring these platforms I think if I had more time to explore and watch videos on YouTube that may help me in creating podcasts I would have been able to master Anchor, and Podbean even more. Which one do you prefer or do you use a completely different one?

PODCAST AND EDUCATION

Podcasts can be used easily for parents to learn about current topics in education, learning with their children, audiobooks for the whole family, and much more.

Teachers can use podcasts for professional learning, creating podcasts for their parents and students.

Students could use podcasts for learning, audiobooks, and a way to share their work.

As I have worked through this topic I have been thinking of a school-wide or grade-level podcast where students could share their writing. I think it would really inspire the students to improve their writing. There are so many ways to utilize podcasts and I will be doing more diving into this topic. Who knows maybe I will find some great podcast and become an avid listener. Do you have any podcasts you think I should check out?

(I love mysteries, education, British anything, reading, crafts, and anything my toddler would like)

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I am a podcast newbie and this process was an experience! My partners and I also used zoom, but we did not edit the file. Thank you for sharing your experience with the editing platform, it is good to know for future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice work here! Thanks for all the information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you shared some of the behind the scenes parts of completing this assignment. I also love all the graphics that you use on all your blog posts! I think it makes it more visually appealing and I think that would be a great idea for me to start incorporating!

    ReplyDelete

The Parker Inheritance

  Johnson, Varian. (2018). The Parker Inheritance. Arthur A. Levine Books. ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-      0545946179 Synopsis : When Candice ...