Thursday, March 21, 2024

Book Trailers, and QR Codes

 As librarians, we must be prepared to move with the ever-growing world of technology. In my class this week we were asked to create a book trailer and a QR code. I wanted to create a book trailer for a book that is very special to me, and with my mother passing away this year I enjoyed creating this trailer. I chose Little House in the Big Woods. 

It is one of the first chapter books that I really remember my mom reading to me every night, and it is also where my mother came up with my name Laura. She loved this series and through the years no matter what grade I have taught I have read it to my classes. It's funny to see how children today are actually very drawn to this type of book. It is enjoyable at any age and time. I feel it is a timeless classic. 

This is the first trailer I have ever made and using Canva and Animoto were very easy to use. I am excited to play around with it more so that I can make even better book trailers in the future. 

If you have never read, Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder, you need to check it out. Here is a little summary brought to you by Amazon:

Based on the real-life adventures of Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House in the Big Woods is the first book in the award-winning Little House series, which has captivated generations of readers. This edition features the classic black-and-white artwork from Garth Williams. 

Little House in the Big Woods takes place in 1871 and introduces us to four-year-old Laura, who lives in a log cabin on the edge of the Big Woods of Wisconsin. She shares the cabin with her Pa, her Ma, her sisters Mary and Carrie, and their lovable dog, Jack.

Pioneer life isn’t easy for the Ingalls family, since they must grow or catch all their own food as they get ready for the cold winter. But they make the best of every tough situation. They celebrate Christmas with homemade toys and treats, do their spring planting, bring in the harvest in the fall, and make their first trip into town. And every night, safe and warm in their little house, the sound of Pa’s fiddle lulls Laura and her sisters into sleep.

The nine books in the timeless Little House series tell the story of Laura’s real childhood as an American pioneer, and are cherished by readers of all generations. They offer a unique glimpse into life on the American frontier, and tell the heartwarming, unforgettable story of a loving family.



QR CODES in the Library

You may not often think of using QR codes in your library but they actually come in handy in a variety of ways. You can use QR codes with your students by having QR throughout the library and/or inside of books to direct students to book trailers, places to discuss their thoughts online, a way to find books that are similar or if reading a nonfiction book it may lead you to other articles and information online. There are just so many ways you can use QR codes with your students. Another idea depending on your campus is using QR codes for self-checkout and renewal of books. You can also use QR codes with the school staff such as keeping track of inventory, and/or having quick references of ideas to search with students and teachers. 

An idea that I had that I haven't seen so far online is one to help parents. We, as teachers, often want parents to be involved in helping build their child's comprehension but as we know parents may not have the time to read the entire chapter book so why not use the QR codes to help the parents with comprehension questions they could ask their child and the answers so that they have the option to still help their child with reading comprehension. The same can go with attaching QR codes to books that link to information on what a student is supposed to be doing for a research project. I feel that QR codes are not being utilized in schools and especially libraries often enough.  To learn more about QR codes there are numerous online resources with many ideas just such as How to use QR codes in the library or school. Let me know if you find anything interesting, and what you think about my reading comprehension idea. 

2 comments:

  1. Both of these blogs were really helpful in terms of guidance regarding both the comic apps and the Animoto/Canva book trailer! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your idea about using QR codes for parents and having comprehension questions! That is so awesome! Also, love your book trailer!

    ReplyDelete

The Parker Inheritance

  Johnson, Varian. (2018). The Parker Inheritance. Arthur A. Levine Books. ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-      0545946179 Synopsis : When Candice ...