Monday, June 10, 2024

Disappointed Read: EVERYTHING SAID IS UNTRUE



 A. Bibliographic Data

          Nayeri, Daniel. 2020. EVERYTHING SAD IS UNTRUE. Levine Querido Publishing.

B. Summary

 A tale of what life is like for an Iranian refugee living in Oklahoma and explains his family and history to a class of people who find his tales to appear exaggerated. You learn of his life before becoming a refugee, living in a refugee camp, and life in America.

C. Critical Analysis

 After reading this book I was very shocked to find that this book received so many awards because even though parts of it were entertaining, I simply found the writing and flow of the story to be like the online summary states a patchwork story. I believe the summary provided by the publishers meant more of a patchwork of his life, but I feel it is more of a patchwork of writing form. It doesn’t seem to flow well and at times it is very hard to continue reading. I think the story could be amazing if written differently. I am a person who starts a book and must finish it, but I can honestly say this is the first book that was a true struggle for me to finish. After analyzing the cover of the book I feel that it's a great image to use as this story was a chaotic tornado of words that had no real plot. I think the author was trying very hard to write as a 10-year-old and in the process, it became a rambled, and incohesive story. It was not my cup of tea, and I wouldn’t recommend this book to others.

D.  Book Reviews

“A journey as intimate as it is epic. A remarkable work that raises the literary bar in children’s lit.”- BOOKLIST (starred review)

“At once beautiful and painful, this timely story is highly recommended for middle-grade readers.”- 
SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL (starred review)

“A modern masterpiece
 – as epic as the “Iliad” and “Shahnameh,” and as heartwarming as “Charlotte’s Web.” It’s for the kids at the lunch table; the heroes of tomorrow, just looking to survive the battle of adolescence.” – NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW

E. Connections

-          My 10th grade nephew read this book with me, and he had a similar evaluation of the story. He felt that the book was hard to follow, and had some funny parts but that overall, it just didn’t flow that well. (His words)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Parker Inheritance

  Johnson, Varian. (2018). The Parker Inheritance. Arthur A. Levine Books. ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-      0545946179 Synopsis : When Candice ...